Sunday, April 6, 2014

Jazz Faggottry

If you by any chance follow me on Twitter and see my choices in music, there's one thing that's quite obvious about most of them. They're mostly jazzy songs. Just recently, I have come to terms with this and am ready to tell you all a deep secret...

I'm a jazz-fag (not the Urban Dictionary definition of jazz-fag... but you should get what I mean).

Well, this may not have been a secret, but as to why I'm a jazz fag? Well, it all started back in late 2013 when I bought myself a copy of Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, something I wouldn't regret doing. Even with all the bugs, the games are great.


If you've played any before, you'd know about the radio stations, which consist of mainly early 20th century music. In 20th century America with the help of the Harlem Renaissance, there was a huge boom in Jazz all around the country, especially around the east coast (I bet you never knew you'd learn some history from this blog, eh? The more you know...). Thus, these stations were filled with wonders like Frank Sinatra.

Now, I wasn't always a huge jazz-fag, but I think after wasting countless hours sitting in front of a TV screen while consuming gallons of ice cream day after day, the genre started to grow on me, and started to influence the music that I listen to in K-Pop, which leads to the main topic of this article/list/whatever-you'd-like-to-call-this.

Generally, this is a list of some of the best jazzy K-Pop songs as I'm aware of. If you happen to know any more, please do feel free to inform me of them because my jazz-faggottry has to be fed.

The first song belongs to the great nine, and no, I'm not referring to Girls' Generation, though we will get to them further in the post, so you just wait. I'm referring to Nine Muses, who I like to call the queens of jazz in the K-Pop world. Why? Well, if you listen to their song 'Dolls' and a few of the songs off of their Prima Donna album, you'd see why.



As you may know, my favorite K-Pop album of all time (as of yet) is IU's Modern Times, and I couldn't stop myself from featuring the album on this list. The whole album is pretty much a throwback to the early 20th century in America (now you know why I mentioned the stuff I did above...), and thus, is jazzy-as-fuck. The song that I think deserves to be featured in this post is IU's duet with Gain, 'Everybody Has Secrets'. Why? Because it's (for me) the best song off the album.



I said before that I would be mentioning Girls' Generation, and here it is. The song that I'm going to put here is 'Talk to Me' from their Oh! album. This came to my attention when preparing for one of my other posts, and it deserves to be on this list as well.



I'm not really one who's very interested in K-Pop guy groups, though I do check them out every once in a while. However, the jazz/swing style of this song captured my attention and gets the duo on this list. Plus, the backup dancers are super hot, so that's always good.



Though I just discovered this song, it still makes it's way as one of my favorites off of the list. Recently, well I guess not so recently as it was released in December, Son Dambi released the MV for 'Red Candle'. I don't feel like analyzing the video at the moment, one, because I'm simply too lazy, and two, because this isn't the post for that.



After posting this article, I found yet another great jazz-like song. I didn't know who the hell Crush was until I found this song while listening to a playlist off the '1theK' channel, and it wasn't too impressive at first. Though as many other songs, it gets better the more you listen to it. However, I've gotten to the point at which I've listened to it so much I'm starting to hate the sound of it and I cringe when it plays. But the girl is still cute, so I watch the video anyways.



Sadly, there aren't really too many Jazz-inspired songs in the K-Pop that I know of as of yet, so if, by any chance, you know any more, feel free to link them in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment